Guyana squad reduced to 15 players for CONCACAF U-20 Qualifiers

first_imgGUYANA has been forced to reduce its squad at the CONCACAF U-20 Men’s Qualifiers to 15 players as a result of the Nicaraguan authorities’ refusal to accept the International Yellow Card presented.Five Under 20 players were denied entry into Nicaraguan by the immigration authorities there. Upon arrival, the immigration authorities informed the Staff that a quarantine period of 10-days was required for the Yellow fever vaccine. The U20 contingent did not satisfy that condition. Strangely however, 10 players with the exact vaccination date were permitted entry into the country.The Under 20 Team Manager also complained about the hostile reception the team received from the Nicaraguan immigration authorities, who subjected the players and staff to several layers of security checks that lasted for hours.This development has resulted in one goalkeeper, two midfielders and two defenders being refused entry into the country and thus exiting the tournament.The GFF has since informed the parents/caregivers of the players in question about the situation and will ensure their safe return to Guyana.The GFF will be making a formal complaint to CONCACAF once all the details are presented by theManagement team.The CONCACAF U-20 Men’s Qualifiers will be held in Nicaragua from February 15 to 23.Meanwhile, Head Coach Wayne Dover  had said he is pleased with the overall performance of the team during their preparatory period.The team played four training matches; three against the Guyana-based Senior Men’s National Team and one against River Views FC from Region 7.Dover said the objectives of the training matches were achieved as the players were exposed to some competitive fixtures.According to Dover, the performance of the team was commendable in the matches played, given the fact that he saw the implementation of many areas worked on and also saw areas which needed more attention.The National U-20 coach stated that “after each game, we fixed some of the problems identified. The toughest opponents were definitely the senior team. They played against us as if it were the final Gold Cup Qualifying game that they need to win. That was the kind of test needed to make a proper assessment of the team.”Meanwhile, Development coach and National midfielder Anthony Benfield has been assigned as assistant coach following a motorcycle accident injury to Calvin Allen.Guyana have been placed in Group A with St Vincent and the Grenadines, Montserrat, US Virgin Islands and hosts Nicaragua.Guyana will kick off their campaign against Montserrat on Saturday, February 15, followed by a clash with St. Vincent and the Grenadines on Monday, February 17. Both matches are set to start at 17:30hrs.The Guyanese will then face US Virgin Islands on February 21, and an encounter with hosts Nicaragua on February 23 will see Dover’s men wrap things up in the Central American country.last_img read more

Read More →

With lockdown extension on the cards, IPL all set to be postponed indefinitely

first_imgTHE cash-rich Indian Premier League’s (IPL) 13th edition yesterday headed towards an indefinite postponement as the country braced for a lockdown extension to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.The BCCI has been waiting for an official announcement from the centre, but with the chief ministers of various states making it clear that another extension is on the cards, India’s richest sports body is left with no option but to postpone it further.The number of confirmed novel coronavirus cases in the country has crossed 8 000 with 259 fatalities so far.However, it remained unclear whether the board will formally announce the postponement before April 15, the date till which the event was pushed back last month.“Three states Punjab, Maharashtra and Karnataka have already said that they are extending lockdown. It is implied that IPL can’t happen for the time being. But it will certainly not be cancelled. It will be postponed indefinitely,” a BCCI official told PTI on the condition of anonymity.The IPL was originally scheduled to be held between March 29 and May 24, but was postponed initially till April 15 due to the coronavirus outbreak.“We can’t cancel IPL as it means losses to the tune of Rs 3000 crore. The BCCI will work with all stakeholders to find a solution but for that normalcy needs to return. It’s not possible for BCCI bigwigs to commit that IPL can happen at which particular slot,” he added.As of now, there are two options — organising it in September and early October before the World T20 in Australia or hosting it at the expense of the World T20 if the ICC, Cricket Australia and other stakeholders agree.“There are lots of ifs and buts at the moment. You can only have a meaningful discussion when things normalise. Till then, nothing can be said.” (HindustaniTimes)last_img read more

Read More →

One positive COVID-19 result for Tottenham

first_img(BBC) – Tottenham have had one positive coronavirus result in the latest round of testing by the Premier League, the club say. That person will now self-isolate for seven days.“Due to medical confidentiality, the individual’s name will not be disclosed,” Spurs said in a statement on their website.This was the only positive result after 1 197 players and staff were checked in the latest round of testing.There have now been five rounds of testing for COVID-19, and the total number of positive results has increased to 13 from 5 079 tests.Premier League players and staff are currently tested twice a week, with the league set to resume on June 17.last_img

Read More →

FIA looking into Hamilton anti-racism shirt gesture

first_imgBy Alan BaldwinLONDON, England (Reuters) – Formula One’s governing body is considering whether Lewis Hamilton broke any rules in wearing a T-shirt with “Arrest the cops who killed Breonna Taylor” on it before and after Sunday’s Tuscan Grand Prix.“We are giving this issue active consideration,” said a spokesman for the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA).He added that the discussion was also about how to proceed in future.Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman, was killed by police officers who burst into her apartment in Louisville, Kentucky, in March.One police officer involved was fired by the city’s police department in June. Two other officers have been placed on administrative reassignment. No criminal charges have been filed against any of the three.Hamilton has regularly worn a ‘Black Lives Matter’ T-shirt when taking a knee in an officially-sanctioned anti-racism protest before the start of races this season.Sunday’s shirt was a departure from that, with a photograph of Taylor on the back and ‘Say her name’. Japanese tennis player Naomi Osaka recently wore a face mask with Taylor’s name at the U.S. Open.Hamilton said on Sunday Osaka had been “an incredible inspiration”.Race stewards did not open any investigation into Hamilton’s actions at Italy’s Mugello circuit.It was not immediately obvious in any case what statute Hamilton might have broken.The FIA, which maintains a non-political stance, is working with the Briton, Formula One’s only Black driver, on a diversity commission and has promoted an anti-racism campaign.The sporting code bars teams from using “political or religious” advertising but does not mention the drivers.Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff also made clear he had no problem with whatever Hamilton chose to wear.“It is entirely his decision. Whatever he does, we will support,” the Austrian told reporters last Saturday.“The team is fighting against any kind of racism and discrimination and it is Lewis’s personal fight for Black Lives Matter and with all the support we can give him.“The much broader movement is obviously the fight against any kind of racism and discrimination — and we as a team and as a corporate have always put an emphasis to fight against that injustice.”last_img read more

Read More →

Nigeria Slips to 52nd, Iceland Hits All-time High 18th

first_imgFIFA RANKINGSBy Duro Ikhazuagbe As reported by THISDAY last week, Nigeria’s second place finish in the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Morocco early this month played no significant role as Super Eagles dropped to 52nd spot in the February rankings released by FIFA Thursday.Nigeria’s cumulative point of 606 as against the 651 of January ensured that the three-time African champions failed to return to global top 50.However, it was not together all bad news as Eagles progressed from the ninth place in the African ranking of January to seventh ahead of Ghana (8th), Burkina Faso (9th) and Algeria (10th). Tunisia remained at the summit of African football with Senegal, Congo DR, Morocco, Egypt and Cameroon in the top 10 respectively.Interestingly, one of Nigeria’s group stage rivals at the World Cup in Russia next summer, Iceland, chalked up one of the greatest moves of the February rankings.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More →

Italian Legend Buffon to Announce Retirement Thursday

first_img“There will never be another Gigi,” Buffon’s agent told Italian media.Silvano Martina added: “I can’t add anything more because he will reveal what he’s going to do next to the press.”Buffon is scheduled to appear in front of the media at 10:30 BST.He is facing a UEFA ban for comments made about English referee Michael Oliver, who sent him off during the Champions League semi-final defeat by Real Madrid.Buffon had said Oliver has “a bag of rubbish for a heart” and should “sit in the stands with your wife, your kids, having your drink and eating crisps”.Italy’s most capped player with 176, Buffon could make his international farewell on 4 June in a friendly against the Netherlands.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Juventus and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is expected to announce his retirement at a news conference at the Allianz Stadium in Turin thursday.Buffon, 40, captained Juventus to a seventh straight Serie A title and fourth consecutive Coppa Italia triumph this season.The former Parma goalkeeper could make his 640th and final Serie A appearance against Hellas Verona on Sunday.last_img read more

Read More →

Ruiz Jr Vows to ‘Make History again’ in Rematch with Joshua

first_imgAndy Ruiz Jr has vowed to “make history again” in his world heavyweight title rematch with Anthony Joshua.Ruiz Jr, 30, arrived in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday to begin preparations for the ‘Clash On The Dunes’ on 7 December.“It feels good. You know I made history in New York and I’ll make history again in Saudi Arabia,” he said. Joshua, 30, is seeking to regain the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles after his shock defeat by Ruiz in New York in June.The bout is the first heavyweight world title fight to take place in the Middle East and will be staged in the 15,000-seat Diriyah Arena.Work on the purpose-built stadium only began in October but it is now close to completion.Joshua visited the arena, which promoter Eddie Hearn described as “utterly breathtaking”, on Saturday.In June, Mexican-American Ruiz floored Joshua four times en route to a seventh-round stoppage at Madison Square Garden, handing the Briton his first defeat as a professional.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More →

B’ville bowlers sweep Oswego, fall to Fulton

first_img Tags: Baldwinsvillebowling Gradually, each of the Baldwinsville bowling teams are finding their rhythms, and earning some Salt City Athletic Conference wins along the way.The Bees had its home opener last Tuesday afternoon against Oswego at B’ville Sports Bowl, and managed to sweep past the Buccaneers, each of them 3-0 shutouts.On the boys end, the Bees, earning its first victory of the season, got a 682 series (games of 247, 212 and 223) from Dylan Williams, with Eric Hildreth’s 243 game part of a 627 set.Dylan Love’s 232 game set the tone for a 578 series as Hunter Garrett got a 567 series and Dylan Bigtree started with a 199 and finished with a 552 set. In defeat, the Bucs’ Eric Carson shot 225, 258 and 221 for a 704 series.During the B’ville girls’ win over Oswego, Jenna Spiech lit it up for games of 226, 200 and 183 to post a 609 set as Amelia Ponto contributed a 579 series with games of 193, 191 and 195.Julia Spiech helped with a 513 series with a 214 game in the middle of her set. Jenna Hierholzer had a three-game total of 497 as Madison Hass added a 452 series.This led to a big showdown on Friday, B’ville hosting the two powerful teams from Fulton, who managed to claim both sides of its match with the Bees.B’ville could not take a point from the Red Raiders in the boys match, a 3-0 defeat where Williams earned a 632 series and Tanner Rozyezko still started with a 220, finished with a 243 and got a 625 series. Love put together a 579 set.On Fulton’s side, Mitch Donaldson shot three games of 245, 224 and 255 for a 724 series, with Mark Smith getting a 645 series (242 high game) and Owen Sheldon starting with a 238 during his 640 set.During the girls Bees’ 3-0 defeat to Fulton, Jenna Spiech closed with a season-best 266 game to up her three-game total to 599, with Ponto getting a 571 series.Hass had a 517 set and Julia Spiech earned a 500 series, but the Red Raiders countered with Alexis Ingersoll’s three 200-plus games and a 649 series as Addison Nichols (549 series) and Jaden Harrington (539 series) helped her.B’ville bowls four more times before the holiday break, starting Monday with Auburn and continuing with Cortland, West Genesee and East Syracuse Minoa in the week that follows.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story last_img read more

Read More →

Roundup

first_imgThe following incidents were reported in the USC Department of Public Safety crime/incident summary between Friday, Oct. 16 and Wednesday, Oct. 20.Crimes against a personOn oct. 19 at 8:10 p.m. a suspect approached a student from behind as she exited the Norris Medical Center and punched her in the side of the head without provocation. The suspect then fled on foot and could not be located during a subsequent search of the area by DPS officers.Miscellaneous incidentson oct. 16 at 6:20 p.m. a student reported that a suspect knocked on the door of her apartment in the City Park complex and she did not answer because she did not recognize him when she looked through the peep hole. The student continued to stand by the door and observed the suspect unlock it. When the suspect pushed the door open the student slammed it closed and yelled that she was calling the police. The suspect then fled and he could not be located during a subsequent search of the area by DPS officers.on oct. 16 at 3:50 a.m. a male student who was sleepwalking walked into a female student’s Century apartment and used the restroom. The female student did not know this person and notified DPS that a stranger entered her apartment.on oct. 19 at 6:10 p.m. a student drove her vehicle into the rear of a university tram driven by a staff member, causing minor damage to the tram and moderate damage to the student’s vehicle.on oct. 20 at 1 a.m. DPS officers responded to a report of students at the Moon apartment complex making excessive noise and swimming in the pool after hours. The officers heard no noise upon their arrival, and when they contacted the students one of them admitted that he had been swimming in the pool. The students were cooperative and the officers cleared the scene after advising them to keep the noise down and stay out of the pool.last_img read more

Read More →

Annenberg starts lab for social technology innovation

first_imgThe Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism will host a new innovation lab geared toward developing social technology that changes how people interact with media, it announced today.Jonathan Taplin, an Annenberg professor who will serve as the director of the Annenberg Innovation Lab, said the lab will serve as a collaboration between those at the school and companies outside USC who want to be involved in the development of technology. The inspiration for the lab originally came from IBM executive Irving Wladawsky-Berger, Taplin said, who served as Annenberg’s first innovator in residence last year.“It’s a place where the best students and professors across lots of different departments in USC can interface with the big corporations that are making media,” Taplin said. “What we’re trying to do is reinvent how media is delivered in the next 10 years.”Companies such as IBM Corp., Verizon Wireless, Mattel Inc. and Levi Strauss & Co. will work to both fund the lab and create new projects with students and faculty members.One of the main focuses of the lab will be interdepartmental collaboration at USC, Taplin said.“We’re trying to make it very interdepartmental, people from the cinema school and people from the Rossier School of Education,” he said. “We have some very specific projects we’re working on.”These projects include the creation of an eBook reader — so students will not have to carry textbooks to class — and geolocation devices. Students will also be involved with the lab in a series of design challenges, where they can win prizes for the best design innovations.“We have very specific projects that are based in new tool sets for journalists,” he said. “It’s a place where many professors can interface with companies that are leading the change.”last_img read more

Read More →